iPad Setup details for students in years 5 to 9.
St Andrew’s Cathedral School utilises iPad technology for all students from Years 5 to 9. Students in these year groups are required to have their own personal iPad to assist with the significant learning opportunities at SACs. Further details in relation to purchasing iPads can be read on the iPad purchasing page.
We want iPads to be set up safely and responsibly so that students can participate in the learning opportunities ahead. Completing the iPad setup at home should simplify steps where parental permissions is required.
The process of creating student Apple ID's, especially for under 13's, we recommend is a process that families should complete at home. Apple Genius bar can provide support with this process.
NOTE: Please try to arrive at school with the following apps installed: OneDrive, Word, PowerPoint and Schoology (+ Box of Books for years 7-10).
While we will certainly endeavour to help as much as we can with the process and with tips for managing technology at home we encourage all parents to read and research further details to be familiar with how it all works.
Before setting iPads please note the following:
- Legally children under 13 must have their Apple ID as part of Family Sharing. Note: Only an @iCloud.com domain can be used for Under 13 accounts.
- We would like the Apple ID to be the set as, or changed to be, the student's school email address if possible.
- Parents should discuss parameters for technology use and set appropriate restrictions based on their child's age, see the iPad Support at home section on SACSconnect for further details to help with this.
School Username and Password:
School username and passwords allow for access to school systems including email, Office365 and Schoology. School login details MUST not be shared and online access can be reached via the portal -Student Portal.
'NOTE: School login details are emailed out to new students before school starts.'
Setting up a Student iPad:
Students need to have an Apple ID and Airwatch installed to have WiFi access at school and access to the Apps purchased for them by the school.
1. Access student email: Use student username and password to access webmail via the portal - portal.sacs.nsw.edu.au (This will be required to complete the process.)
2. Create a Student Apple ID or adjust an existing student Apple ID:
Go to Create Apple ID and create a new account.
NOTE: if your child ALREADY has an Apple ID please can it be changed to the school email via the link Change Apple ID Email
- Please record the answers to your security questions.
- Please make sure it is an Australian Account.
- Apple ID email addresses can be changed at a later stage.
3. Add child to Family Sharing: (Mandatory for students under 13, optional for students over 13)
Family sharing allows a number of options and enables children under 13 to legally have an Apple ID. Further details about Family Sharing can be read at Apple Family Sharing Setup
- On a parent's iPad or iPhone - Settings > iCloud > Family - add your child's Apple ID
- On a Mac - System Preferences > iCloud > manage family > +
4. Setup new iPad: Turn on your new iPad and follow the steps. This is a personalised experience.
5. Install Airwatch: Airwatch enables WiFi access at school and instals the "App Catalogue" for students to access apps bought for them by the school. It also sets up email and appropriate restrictions while at school.
The link below will open the URL to download the AirWatch MDM Agent and runs through the Enrollment process of the iPad
- Airwatch Install Page
- After Install is complete. Open the Agent App and log in with your School login details and follow the instructions until enrollment is complete.
6. Adjust restrictions and discuss technology use: The iPads at homepage on iPad Home Page is a good starting point for this discussion.
7. Install core apps: Open the "app catalogue" that would have been installed on the iPad in the process of setting up Airwatch. NOTE: Please arrive at school with the following apps installed: OneDrive, Word, PowerPoint and Schoology (+ Box of Books for years 7-11) we will login to each at school. Other apps we use can be seen on our on our iPad Apps page More information about these will be given to students as required.
We will keep this page up to date with information and further tips. Sessions will also be held with students in the first few days of term to check the process has been completed.
Note: Further options for help from the IT helpdesk.
We hope that the process works seamlessly for you. We hope to help as much as possible but encourage you to also research for yourself as to best practise.