From SACS Connect
Jump to: navigation, search

There are eight Houses (listed below), each named after a famous English Cathedral. Students are divided into Tutor groups within their House and meet twice a week in tutorials and Years 10-12 meet once every two weeks in House Meetings.


School Charities

The School charities range from local, national and international focuses and each has a service component in which students are provided practical opportunities to contribute to these causes. Houses promote their charity to the wider School body and in doing so raise students’ awareness to inequities and need in the community.

Students have the opportunity to be involved in service learning in all yeargroups which contributes to the Community Service Award. Year 10 participate in a Community Service Week in Term 4. Other events are held throughout the year focusing on School charities such as the Big Bake Off for Rough Edges Café, 1-One-7 Church, Anglicare and TEAR. Houses may support other charities but this may not involve fundraising from students or parents.

Dean Pitt Shield

Houses compete in a number of activities to gain points that go towards The Dean Pitt Shield for Inter-House Competition. These activities include the Inter-House Swimming and Athletic Carnivals, Gala Day, the Eisteddfod and other Inter-House competitions.



The house system in St Andrew’s was inaugurated in 1953 with just three houses. Canterbury was one of the original houses, the other two being Salisbury and York.

  • Colours: Red & Blue
  • Charity Partner: Anglicare
  • Head of House: Mr Chris Kim
  • Cathedral History:
The first Archbishop of Canterbury was St Augustine who arrived on the coast of Kent as a missionary to England in 597 AD. He, with a group of monks came from Rome, sent by Pope Gregory the Great. On his arrival Augustine was given a church at Canterbury by the local King Ethelbert whose Queen, Bertha, was already a Christian. This building had been a place of worship during the Roman occupation of Britain. Soon consecrated Bishop, Augustine established his seat as the first Archbishop of Canterbury. The present archbishop, George Carey, is 103rd in the line of succession.
Until the 10th century the Cathedral community was a family of clergy, living a regulated life as the household of the Archbishop. Not until 998 do we find evidence that they were living by the Rule of St. Benedict as a formal monastic community. The Benedictine community of monks continued until the monastery was dissolved in 1540. The next year a new Foundation called the Dean and Chapter, was constituted by Royal Charter.
Canterbury Cathedral is linked to the lives of many great ecclesiastical and national figures who are entombed there. Among the former are the Saints of Canterbury – Augustine, Theodore, Odo, Dunstan, Alphege, Anselm, Thomas and Edmund - the most famous of all was Thomas Becket, who was murdered in his cathedral on 29 December 1170. Appointed by his King and friend, Henry II, to bring the Church to the heel of the monarchy, he did the reverse. He espoused its rights in the face of the King’s desire to control them.
With the Civil War, the Cathedral was sacked by the Puritans (1642), the Cathedral Chapter was dissolved, and it was not until the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 that the Church of England was re-established and life returned to the Cathedral. The fabric was repaired, the daily services were resumed and Chapter re-established. Few changes occurred until the middle of the nineteenth century, when a series of energetic Archbishops and equally vigorous Deans, began a transformation of the life of the Cathedral. The twentieth century has seen a major restoration of the Cathedral fabric, the revival of pilgrimage (now on ecumenical lines), a re-ordering of liturgical services and a great renaissance of the Cathedral’s music.



Durham House was established in 1996 to accommodate the growth of the School. Although a fairly recent house great contributions have been made, both on the sporting fields and in the classrooms.

  • Colours: Pale Blue & Black
  • Charity Partner: Anglicare
  • Head of House: Mr Michael Thill
  • Cathedral History:
The cathedral building - a large part of which dates back some 900 years - is widely regarded as one of the most complete and perfect examples of Romanesque architecture still in existence. It possesses a heroic grandeur that moved Sir Walter Scott to write:
Grey towers of Durham
Yet well I love thy mixed and massive piles
Half church of God half castle 'gainst the Scot
And long to roam these venerable aisles
With records stored of deeds long since forgot.
Durham's Cathedral Church of Christ and Blessed Mary the Virgin is the last resting place of many saints scholars and warriors including St Cuthbert, St Bede and St Oswald. In addition it was for centuries both home for a community of Benedictine monks and seat of the mighty Prince Bishops of Durham.
In 1986, the uniqueness of this religious, historical and cultural treasure was recognised when the Cathedral, together with Durham Castle, was awarded the highest of accolades - designation as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Durham Cathedral has been operating as a place of prayer and pilgrimage in northeast England for more than 900 years.
The Cathedral remains at the very heart of the Diocese of Durham, which comprises 236 parishes in an area extending from the River Tyne in the north to the River Tees in the south. The Cathedral also welcomes many visitors from all over the world, As in the past, St Cuthbert’s tomb still on the site of its ancient shrine, and the massive grandeur of the Cathedral architecture continue to inspire and impress.
The Durham School, which educates choristers singing in the Cathedral, has an enrolment of around 185 boys and girls in primary years.



Hereford House was established in 1996 to accommodate the growth of the School. Mrs Wendy Hunt was the first Head of House and led her beloved Hereford to many heights before leaving the School in 2002. Ben Fife (OA1996) was the first House Captain. Although a fairly recent house, great contributions have been made, both on the sporting fields and in the classrooms. As with its namesake, Hereford looks forward to a long and fruitful future.

  • Colours: Yellow & Blue
  • Charity Partner: 1-One-7 Church
  • Head of House: Mr Derek Champion
  • Cathedral History:
"Hereford Cathedral is full of surprises. It houses many treasures..."
Standing on the peaceful banks of the beautiful River Wye, Hereford Cathedral occupies a site on which cathedral buildings have stood since Saxon times.
The See of Hereford has been quoted as being "one of the few bishoprics which have come down almost without interruption from the first establishment of Christianity in our land until the present day." It is certainly considered the most ancient in England. Traditionally, the erection of the first Cathedral at Hereford or Caerfawydd, as the city was then known, was paid for by King Gerren Llyngesoc of Dumnonia (Devon & Cornwall) in AD 542. Much prized, by medieval pilgrims and modern episcopal authorities alike, is a chasse, or reliquary, of early 13th century Limoges work still kept at the Cathedral. It consists of a small enamelled casket depicting the Martyrdom of the other St. Thomas, Thomas A'Becket of Canterbury; and once, no doubt, contained some small relic of this man or his life.
Hereford Cathedral's greatest treasure, however, is the celebrated "Mappa Mundi" preserved in a modern building tastefully erected, at the end of the Bishop's Cloister, to blend with the rest of the Cathedral architecture. This late thirteenth century world map, one of the oldest in existence is drawn on vellum (animal skin) and depicts the history of life from Creation to Doomsday. It summarises the major topics of intellectual interest of the period and may best be regarded as a “Map of the Medieval Mind”.
The Chained Library at Hereford Cathedral is a unique treasure. Originally located in the Lady Chapel, the books date back to the eighth century. The Hereford Gospels, which were made in England in the Welsh Border area, were given to the library in 1012 by the then Bishop of Hereford. These handwritten manuscripts written by quill on pages of vellum are bound between wooden boards and chained individually to the shelves.
Hereford is well known as the place of origin of the indigenous Red Cattle that roamed the Welsh Border Counties and the Western extremities of England. The origins of a special breed of cattle in the County of Herefordshire have been mentioned by various agricultural authors as long ago as the early 1600's.During the 1700's and early 1800's documented records of the breed were maintained by various individuals in and around the Herefordshire area, leading to the publication of the First Herd Book of Hereford Cattle in 1846 by Thomas Eyton of Wellington, Shropshire. These white-faced cattle are the basis of the herd at Kirrikee, St Andrews Outdoor Education Centre in the Southern Highlands.



The house system in St Andrew’s was inaugurated in 1953 with just three houses. Salisbury was one of the original houses, the other two being Canterbury and York.

  • Colours: Green & White
  • Charity Partner: TEAR
  • Head of House: Mrs Pam Panczyck
  • Cathedral History:
Salisbury Cathedral, formally known as the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an Anglican cathedral in Salisbury, England, and one of the leading examples of Early English architecture.[1] The main body of the cathedral was completed in only 38 years, from 1220 to 1258.
The cathedral has the tallest church spire in the United Kingdom (123m/404 ft). Visitors can take the "Tower Tour" where the interior of the hollow spire, with its ancient wood scaffolding, can be viewed. The cathedral also has the largest cloister and the largest cathedral close in Britain (80 acres (320,000 m2)). It contains the world's oldest working clock (from AD 1386) and has the best surviving of the four original copies of Magna Carta (all four original copies are in England).[1] In 2008, the cathedral celebrated the 750th anniversary of its consecration.


St Paul's

St Paul’ s was established 10 years after the first houses, in 1963. The first house captain was A Liddle. In 1969 St Paul’s took out their first inter-house competition and have won numerous more since.

  • Colours: Maroon & Navy Blue
  • Charity Partner: Anglicare
  • Head of House: Mr Michael Sahlstrom
  • Cathedral History:
St Paul’s Cathedral is one of the world’s most famous centres of Christian worship and liturgical and choral traditions. The first structure was build on the current site in 604 but subsequent sackings of London by the Vikings meant the structure was rebuilt in 962.
After further rebuilding in 1310 the building was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The present Cathedral was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and commenced in 1675 to be completed by December 1697 for which the anthem ‘I was glad when they said unto me’ was written by John Blow the then Minister of the Choristers. Following its opening in 1710 the structure has remained remarkably unchanged until the present time. The huge dome of St Paul’s, a London landmark for the past two centuries, is modelled along the lines of the famous St Peter’s Basilica in Rome. Since its completion St Paul’s Cathedral has become an inspiration to the British people especially during the Second World War. The Cathedral miraculously escaped major bomb damage throughout the’ Blitz’ by the Germans whilst buildings in the surrounding areas were reduced to rubble.
The St Paul’s Cathedral Choir School was founded in 1127 when provision was made for eight boys ‘in need of alms’ to serve as ‘almonry’ boys to the Cathedral. Evidence is recorded that Gregorian chant or plainsong was being sung in the first St Paul’s and its Song School from about 604. The choristers retain the Cathedral’s rich musical heritage. In 1989 non-chorister dayboys were enrolled for the first time and in 1998 the school admitted girls into its new pre-prep department.
The present building is the first cathedral to have been built since the creation of the Church of England in 1534, when religion was brought under the direct control of the monarch.
In England, the Pope's refusal to grant Henry VIII a divorce from his first wife became the trigger for a reformation that linked Church and State inextricably under the leadership of the monarch, who is also Defender of the Faith.
St Paul's Cathedral occupies a significant place in the national identity of the English population. It is the central subject of much promotional material, as well as postcard images of the dome standing tall, surrounded by the smoke and fire of the Blitz. Important services held at St Paul's have included the funerals of Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington, Sir Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher; Jubilee celebrations for Queen Victoria; peace services marking the end of the First and Second World Wars; the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer, the launch of the Festival of Britain and the thanksgiving services for the Golden Jubilee, the 80th Birthday and the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II.



The house system in St Andrew’s was inaugurated in 1953 with just three houses. The three houses being Canterbury, Salisbury and York. Westminster House was established in 1996 to accommodate the growth of the School. Mrs Vicki Greer was our first Head of House, and Samuel Maddock was our first House Captain.

  • Colours: Black & White
  • Charity Partner: Rough Edges Café
  • Head of House: Mrs Ashleigh Chakarovski
  • Cathedral History:
Westminster Abbey, the most well-known church in Great Britain, celebrated its 900th anniversary in 1965-66 and was built in stages between the 11th and 19th centuries. It is located in London, officially the City of Westminster, a borough of greater London, in south eastern England on the northern banks of the Thames River. Besides Westminster Abbey, Westminster is also home to many of Britain’s national government residences and offices. It is officially known as the Collegiate Church of Saint Peter in Westminster. It has been the setting for every Coronation since 1066 and for numerous other Royal occasions. Today it is still a church dedicated to regular worship and to the celebration of great events in the life of the nation. Neither a cathedral nor a parish church, Westminster Abbey is a “royal peculiar” under the jurisdiction of a Dean and Chapter, subject only to the Sovereign. The Abbey comprises of the main church plus chapels, cloister, chapter house, and towers.
The English King Edward the Confessor started construction in 1050, on the site of an older Romanesque church, and the abbey was rebuilt in its present Gothic style starting in 1245 for King Henry. Edward was most interested in the building of Westminster Abbey, which was completed just in time for his burial in 1066. His mortal remains were entombed behind the High Altar. The Chapel of Henry VII, designed in Tudor style, was added in 1503. English monarchs since William the Conqueror in 1066 have been crowned in the Abbey, and many from Edward’s time until 1760 (George II) are buried in its chapels.
The tombs of famous citizens—among them the poet Geoffrey Chaucer, the physicist Isaac Newton, and the naturalist Charles Darwin—are located in the main church of the Abbey. Other famous people buried at Westminster Abbey include the composer George Frederic Handel, explorer David Livingstone, writer Charles Dickens and the “Unknown Soldier” of the United Kingdom. The Abbey also contains monuments to prominent political figures and, in the four bays and aisles comprising the Poet’s Corner, are tributes to outstanding literary personages such as Shakespeare. Over three thousand people are either buried or memorialised in Westminster Abbey.
With the passing of the medieval monastery at the Reformation. Queen Elizabeth I, buried in one of the apsidal chapels of Henry VII, refounded the Abbey as a Collegiate Church, a Royal Peculiar not subject to the rule of any bishop with the Sovereign as Visitor, and laid down its constitution in a charter granted in 1560. Thus the Abbey was reshaped and newly patterned to discharge a distinctive yet worshipful role in a modern age.
Choristers and musicians from St Andrew's Cathedral School were honoured to perform at the Anzac Day Commemorative Service in both 2001 and 2002 held in the Abbey.



Winchester was established in 1977 as the School numbers started to grow. The first house captain was R. A. Bramley. Since then it has taken on the many facets of the house system and furthered the pastoral care of the School.

  • Colours: Maroon & Grey
  • Charity Partner: TEAR
  • Head of House: Mr Krys Bacewicz
  • Cathedral History:
For many centuries, Winchester Cathedral, begun in 1079, was the capital of England. This great cathedral church (the second longest in Europe) was built within 30 years of the Norman Conquest by Bishop Walkelin, the first Norman Bishop, and dedicated in 1093. The Cathedral is associated with many famous Anglo-Saxon leaders such as Egbert, first King of all Britain, King Alfred, King Canute and William of Wykeham, who was twice Chancellor of England and founder of Winchester College and New College, Oxford.
The lavishly illuminated Winchester Bible was written in the scriptorium between 1160 and 1180. The burial caskets of Canute and other early British kings reside at the Cathedral along with Izaak Walton and many who must have provided characters for her novels, Jane Austen. The Pilgrims’ School educates 22 choristers of the Cathedral including 16 quiristers (the Chapel choir boys of Winchester College). The School operates in a similar situation to St Andrew’s as is centrally associated with the Cathedral but retains is operational independence with its own board of governors. Pilgrims’ School has an enrolment of about 200 boys.



The house system in St Andrew’s was inaugurated in 1953 with just three houses. York was one of the original houses, the other two being Canterbury and Salisbury. York has been a winner of the Dean Pitt shield on numerous occasions.

  • Colours: Red & Black
  • Charity Partner: Rough Edges Café
  • Head of House: Mrs Rebecca Beard
  • Cathedral History:
York House is derived from York Minster in the city of York. The Christian origins of the city are unclear but it is known that by 306 when Constantine the Great was proclaimed Emperor in York there was a small Christian community in the district. This community disappeared during the pagan invasions that followed the Roman withdrawal in the 5th century after which there was considerable instability during the times of Viking and Danish influences.
When Christianity returned to York in 625 Bishop Paulinus accompanied Ethelburga, a Christian princess from Kent in southern England, who came north to marry Edwin, the pagan king of Northumbria. Edwin accepted Christianity two years later and was baptised, along with his court, by Paulinus in a church built especially for the occasion - this building is traditionally regarded as the first York Cathedral.
The Middle Ages saw the cathedral building completed in the 15th century. Its classical design makes York Minster one of the most famous Gothic Cathedrals in England. Political and religious conflict during the 15-17th centuries did not break the Cathedral’s teaching and ministry program although building deterioration led to a 20-year long restoration program from 1802. In the modern era York Minster’s history is largely a struggle to preserve the quality of the cathedral in the face of constantly increasing operating costs, a fact of life affecting many heritage buildings around the world.
The Cathedral’s serious deterioration was highlighted in a 1967 report that indicated the building was in danger of total collapse. This startling finding triggered a resurgence of restoration work that has continued almost unabated to retain the architectural quality of this most significant English cathedral. In 1972 the Minster celebrated the completion of the restoration work during the five hundredth anniversary of the original completion of the building.
The Minster Song School associated with York Minster was originally founded by Paulinus in 627, the first Archbishop of York, for the education of choristers. The current school buildings date from 1832. Since 1987 the school has been a co-educational preparatory school for around 190 children. The school’s music department is one of the most flourishing in Britain.
In many ways St Andrew’s Cathedral Sydney is a small-scale copy of York Minster Cathedral.