Homework consists of:
- Work set by teachers to be completed for a particular lesson
- Study which includes revision of earlier work and wider reading
Examples of regular homework tasks:
- Learn spelling lists. Complete activities to reinforce lists. eg. sentences, alphabetical order, etc
- Complete some Mathematical calculations. Mathletics Tasks
- Reading of a novel
- Finishing classwork
- Drafting of writing tasks
Homework is given for several reasons:
- To ensure work taught in class is understood, learned and practised
- To provide time for revision of knowledge already gained
- To develop self-discipline and good study habits for the future
Students are encouraged to learn to be flexible. Some nights they may devote more than the required amount of homework/study/review, whilst another night they may require less.
Tutors will support students to develop their own homework/study schedule.
It is important that parents/carers encourage their children to become efficient in getting homework done. Provision of a quiet, comfortable study area with the necessary writing materials is highly recommended. Any homework time not required for set homework should be devoted to further reading, study, revision and research.
If homework is a cause for concern, the teacher and/or Tutor should be informed.
The recommended time spent on homework should be:
Kindergarten - 10–15 minutes per night. Literacy and Numeracy Component
Years 1-2 - 20-30 minutes per night
Years 3-4 - 25-35 minutes per night
Years 5-6 - 30-40 minutes per night
Years 7-8 - 1 hour each weekday
Years 9-10 - 1.5-2 hours each weekday
Years 11-12 - 2-3 hours each weekday & 2-3 hours on the weekend
- Secondary students should also read 30-60 min before going to sleep. This should not be using a blue light screen device such as an iPad or laptop.
Gawura Homework is routine based and reflects/consolidates work addressed in class. Homework includes literacy/numeracy tasks as well as home reading.
Monday: (sent home) home reading and homework
Tuesday: home reading and homework (Homework Centre 3:10-4:00)
Wednesday: home reading and homework
Thursday: home reading and homework (Homework Centre 3:10-4:00)
Friday: Returned to school and diary signed for home reading
K 20 minutes across 4 days (including preparation for news)
Yr 1-2 10 minutes a night
Yr 3-4 15 minutes a night
Yr 5-6 20 minutes a night
K-2 10-15 minutes a night
Yr 3 at least 15 minutes home reading a night
Yr 4 at least 20 minutes home reading a night
Yr 5 at least 25 minutes home reading a night
Yr 6 at least 30 minutes home reading a night