Students at St Andrew's Cathedral School will not be overburdened with homework. Homework is set to reinforce learning that is occurring in class.
Expectations in relation to homework requirements are set out below. The times allocated are total amounts. They represent a combined total from literacy and numeracy groups as well as any other set tasks. This incorporates any assignments set by teachers.
Homework is set for a maximum of 5 nights in the week. Homework should not be set over the vacation periods for Years 1-10.
Examples of suitable homework tasks:
- Learn spelling lists. Complete activities to reinforce lists. eg. sentences, alphabetical order, etc.
- Complete some Mathematical calculations.
- Reading of a novel.
- Finishing classwork.
- Drafting of writing tasks.
Homework tasks to avoid:
- No projects or assignments should be set for homework (Years K-6) and limited projects and assignments for Stage 4&5. Such tasks should be largely completed in normal class time where teachers will teach students how to complete projects/assignments.
- No computer generated homework sheets should be issued to students (from programs that give you a homework sheet for each week of the year).
- Kindergarten - No formal homework. Home reading program.
- Year 1 & 2 - 10–15 minutes per night.
- Year 3 & 4 - 15–20 minutes per night.
- Year 5 & 6 - 25-30 minutes per night.
- Year 7 - 1 hour each weekday
- Year 8 - 1-2 hours each weekday
- Year 9 - 1.5 - 2 hours each weekday
- Year 10 - 2 hours each weekday & 2 hours on the weekend
- Year 11 - 2-3 hours each weekday & 2-3 hours on the weekend
- Year 12 - 3+ hours each weekday & 3+ hours on the weekend